Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dark Or Light?
Topic Started: Mar 27 2011, 08:47 PM (2,884 Views)
.Xynic.
Insanity is a Terrible Thing to Waste...
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I prefer Dark Themes mainly because for me it's easier to work with.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zetaone
[ * ]
I don't really care for dark or light backgrounds, I just want a board that's clear with the fonts and emoticons.
Edited by zetaone, Oct 14 2011, 09:11 AM.

Henry.G
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Lighter themes - They have a more welcoming feel.

minzy
Member Avatar
Borealis
[ * ]
I prefer mixed themes.

I don't like lighter themes only because they can range so few and far between and I'm not sensitive to light, but I prefer letting my eyes look at something they can die down on. A little light is fine, which is why I prefer mixed.

24thcenstfan-ZNS
Member Avatar
Something Wicked This Fae Comes
[ *  * ]
I usually prefer Light or medium themes.

I can spend some time on boards with dark themes if there is a good amount of contrast or feeling that the lights are not turned off on the board.

Tinwoman
[ * ]
I prefer light with dark text. I'm having a hard time finding one that suits the needs of older eyes.

Byzantine
Member Avatar
InvisionFree's Official Greek Police
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think light goes far with most people, as it gives a clean and professional look.

Ver_Tin
Member Avatar
[unbekannt]
[ *  * ]
I like to use both dark and light.

Zedboards
[ *  *  * ]
I prefer themes that don't adjust my eye-color system. If I look at a theme for awhile and then look away and the colors around me have changed, then I know the color receptors in my retina are compensating for an overdose.

My eyes like darker themes - find them more restful - but my experience with darker themes is that dark themes don't incorporate beauty, nature and peace as often as lighter themes. Dark themes seem to draw designers who go for skulls, heavy metal, Monsters from the Black Lagoon, blood, nightmares, swords, tanks. I think there should be more done with beautiful in dark themes. I've seen a few and they were stunning.

:)

FearKiller
Member Avatar
www.drewscripts.com
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lighter color schemes provide a more professional look than a darker skin. Darker skins, in my opinion, are also harder on the eyes. I also view dark themes as amateur work. As when I first got into web design, I created all dark themed pages. Now, I lean more towards the lighter color schemes.

Byzantine
Member Avatar
InvisionFree's Official Greek Police
[ *  *  *  * ]
FearKiller
Apr 2 2012, 11:15 PM
Lighter color schemes provide a more professional look than a darker skin. Darker skins, in my opinion, are also harder on the eyes. I also view dark themes as amateur work. As when I first got into web design, I created all dark themed pages. Now, I lean more towards the lighter color schemes.
I think Dark Skins work great on Gaming Forums and whatnot, but Light Skins give off a nice clean look in my opinion.

silvershoes
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
FearKiller
Apr 2 2012, 11:15 PM
No.

Not to pick on you specifically, but that argument gets thrown around a lot when it really shouldn't. Whether a skin is dark or light has nothing to do with looking professional. Professionals use both to good effect.

What matters is contrast, legibility, and actual design. What's included, what's left out. Whether it supports the message of the site (professional) or is so in your face it becomes a distraction (unprofessional), like a woman who wears too much jewelry.

You can recolor a light skin into dark colors and it will be every bit as professional because the design elements remain the same. You can tart up a light design with too much junk and it won't be the least bit professional.

;)

Numark-ZNS
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I have always preferred light themes 100 tines more than dark themes :)

SteveTZ
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I tend to prefer lighter themes, but if I'm browsing a forum at night with minimal lighting then a dark theme is often more suitable.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply