Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Guide To Invisionfree'; approved to post here by phrank
Topic Started: Feb 28 2004, 06:54 AM (1,125 Views)
buzzy
Member Avatar
Crappy Sk8er
[ * ]
Well here it is, The big one. Here i will give you all the information i can about invisionfree it will contain tips and tricks,skinning,admin cp,advertising and much more. so here we go :)

What Is Invisionfree?

Invisionfree is a free hosted service based off the huge message board company Invision Power Services. You dont get the full features but you get mos porbally everything that is needed. After all it is a free host, what more could you ask for!

How Do I Get My 'Invisionfree' Board?

You can get your free invisionfree forum at http://www.invisionfree.com . Sign up there and you will have your forum ready instantly and you will be 1 of the millions of invisionfree users.

The Admin CP Is Terribally Confusing How Do I Get Things To Work?

To make the forums you would have to go to the manage forums area and set it up. For each forum you would have to have a catogory for it.

What Are Sub Forums?

Sub forums is a forum which would go inside another forum so it is like an extra catogory for 1 forum it self.

Can I Have A Sub Forum Inside Another Sub Forum?

No. You can only have 1 sub forum. But at the IPS support forums Matt Mecham announced that this will be possible in IPB 2.0

How Do I Skin My Board?

You can skin your board by editing the admin cp's Cascading Style Sheets It uses a code called css. If you are totally new to skinning and Would like to know how to skin your board by css there will be a guide at the end of this documentation.

What is the images section for

The images section holds up all the forums images. You can change the url's to your choosing to suit your board.

I Dont Understand The Board Wrappers.What Are They?

Board wrappers are like a html template for your board.You can customize your board through board wrappers using html you can find html scripts for the board wrappers on most invisionfree rescourse sites.

What Are Moderators?

Moderators are people who look after your board. They are loyal people who keep your board at its best.You should also be very carefull in picking moderators,some dont do their jobs so choose wisely.

Can i demote a moderator?

Yes you can. Just go to edit/suspend user and edit the user from moderator to members group.

What Are Usergroups?

Usergroups are groups which members of your forum can be in.

Guest - A Visitor To Your Board Who Is Unregistered.

Member - A Member At Your Board Who Is Registered.

Admin - Administrator,Controls the board.

Moderator - Is Staff Controls The Board With Moderation Powers.

Validating - A Person who has just reigstered but is waiting to validate their account.

Can I Create My Own Usergroups?

Yes you can. Go to mange user groups and create your own with your own fully custom powers.

Tips And Tricks

Skin Guide -

Casscading Style Sheets (CSS) -

Background Color - This cn be found near the top of the css by the word BODY in capital letters to change the color put in a hex color code e.g 99999 which is Grey,if you dont know any color codes try visiting webmonkey or other helpfull webmaster rescourse sites.

Main Title/ Title Medium -main title is one of the tricky things for newcomers, it is around the center of the css and will have a url,to change the maintitle you will have to put a url of a gradient in or a hex color code, this is used exactly the same for title medium which is located just above maintitle.

Forum Bar - To change the color of a forum bar you would have to go to row 4 and 2 row 2 will change the color of the bit at the end of the forum bar and row 4 will change the middle this one is pretty simple and not hard to miss because there is a list saying row1,,3 and 4.

Forum Markers (images/Marcos) - The little blue circles that say ipb can sometimes be annoying and most peolpe want to change them to change them just go to images/marcos and chnage the url in forum marker same with anything else in images that you would like to change.

Board Wrappers -

In the board wrappers on invisionfree you can do many things with html to modify your board it has prven most effective on most boards.

for html scripts and extras for board wrappers go to

This Link

Images-

To customize the images on your board if you dont know what image is what to change just right click on the image you want to change and the name will be in the url.

Well it has finally come to the end of my guide to invisionfree, i hope this helped all new people to it.

Thankyou

buzz
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Anfield
Captain Fantastic
[ *  *  * ]
Thats a very helpful guide. Especially if your new to forums.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · InvisionFree Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply